Some meals just call for a pan of rich, buttery, slightly sweet cornbread! This skillet cornbread recipe is easy and so delicious! We always make cornbread with chili, rice and beans, and several other meals.
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
There is an unspoken rule in our home that certain meals must be served with a hot pan of buttery cornbread.
Cornbread is among the long list of foods that I had only really ever experienced as coming from a bag/box mix.
Which is probably why I just was never very crazy about it. It was ho hum and too dry. Maybe I needed a better mix?
My husband, though, had a strong love for cornbread and so instead of choking down the dry stuff, I learned how to make it from scratch.
This recipe uses simple kitchen staples like cornmeal, Greek yogurt (I make it in my Instant Pot), butter, milk… simple, simple.
I opted to skip the refined sugar and use molasses instead. Not only is it a little healthier, it feels more authentic.
Cornmeal is one of the items we use Amazon subscribe and save for because I want to always have a good, non-GMO option available.
If you don’t already have a cast iron skillet in your kitchen, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this 10″ Lodge pan. It comes preseasoned and ready to use. Use it for cornbread, focaccia, skillet cookies, frittatas, and more.
If cooking with cast iron intimidates you (it did me), read this post on the 15 Things You Need to Know About Cast Iron and see how easy it actually can be.
More quick breads you’ll love ::Print
Some meals just call for a pan of rich, butter, slightly sweet cornbread! This skillet cornbread recipe is easy and so delicious! We always make cornbread with chili, rice and beans, and several other meals.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 450. While the oven is preheating, add the coconut oil to a 10″ cast iron skillet, then place the skillet in the oven.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, yogurt, and milk. Let the mixture sit.
- After about five minutes in the oven, once the oil is melted and hot, remove the pan and add the butter. Swirl the butter around until it is completely melted and incorporated with the oil. Pour the oil/butter mixture into the cornmeal mixture, reserving a tablespoon in the pan.
- Whisk together the cornmeal batter until smooth. Add the molasses, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and eggs. Whisk again until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth. Immediately pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- Bake the cornbread in the preheated oven for 14-15 minutes until cooked through and brown on top.
Sharing is caring! Don’t forget to pin and share. Thank you!