You can use your skillet to make delicious dark chocolate chip cookies! These cookies are naturally sweetened and quicker and easier than using baking sheets!
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
My husband’s favorite cookie had a makeover!
Chocolate chip cookies, specifically the ultimate chocolate chip cookies from this Cook’s Illustrated cookbook, are my husband’s favorite cookies. Given the choice, they are what he would pick every time.
I have made those cookies soooo many times. They are great. But they are also a lot higher in sugar (and effort) than I prefer for a regular treat in our home.
So I simplified the process, substituted the refined sugars for a smaller amount of coconut sugar, and swapped semi-sweet morsels for dark chocolate chips.
The first time I made the cookies in the skillet (rather than two or three rounds of baking sheets in the oven), I was sold on skillet cookies.
Ultimate Skillet Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you do not have coconut sugar on hand, you can sub it for a 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. However, coconut sugar is a great sweetener to have on hand, and is one of a few natural sweeteners I love to use. Unlike granulated sugar, there are health benefits to coconut sugar— it may help diabetics, it’s paleo approved, it has trace minerals and vitamins, and can be good for the gut.
If you do not have a cast iron skillet, I highly recommend Lodge pans. We have three Lodge pans and plan to get another. They are excellent quality without breaking the bank. The 10-inch skillet I used for this recipe is less than $15! You can watch a video on caring for cast iron pans here.
Necessary Items ::Print
Crisp, sweet cookies studded with dark chocolate chips and walnuts, easily made in a skillet (no baking sheets needed!).
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) of unsalted butter
- 3/4 C coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 C plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet, then remove the skillet from the heat. Preheat your oven to 375.
- Pour the butter into a bowl. Add the sugar, and then stir until the butter and sugar are well combined. Add the egg and vanilla, then stir well again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture. Stir until just combined, then add the chocolate chips and walnuts (if using them).
- Transfer the dough into the skillet (still greased with butter) and place in preheated oven. Cook for 16-18 minutes, until cooked through.
Sharing is caring! Don’t forget to pin and share. Thank you!