Some meals just call for a pan of rich, butter, slightly sweet cornbread! This skillet cornbread recipe is easy and so delicious! We always make cornbread with chili, rice and beans, and several other meals.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 450. While the oven is preheating, add the coconut oil to a 10″ cast iron skillet, then place the skillet in the oven.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, yogurt, and milk. Let the mixture sit.
- After about five minutes in the oven, once the oil is melted and hot, remove the pan and add the butter. Swirl the butter around until it is completely melted and incorporated with the oil. Pour the oil/butter mixture into the cornmeal mixture, reserving a tablespoon in the pan.
- Whisk together the cornmeal batter until smooth. Add the molasses, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and eggs. Whisk again until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth. Immediately pour the batter into the hot skillet.
- Bake the cornbread in the preheated oven for 14-15 minutes until cooked through and brown on top.