It is SOOO easy to make this homestyle, creamy tomato soup in the Instant Pot! The recipe calls for common pantry ingredients and can be ready in less than thirty minutes.
We are ALLLLL about the soups at our house. And though soup is more typically a cooler weather dish, I can’t help myself in the warmer months too. I just can’t stay away.
I mean, what’s not to love about soup when it is so versatile and such a team player with whatever I have on hand in my fridge and pantry?! Oh, and as a mom, I feel compelled to also mention that it’s one of the EASIEST ways to get more veggies in my kids’ bellies.
The Instant Pot is any soup lover’s best friend, y’all. I haven’t made soup in anything else in a YEAR! (That’s a lot of bowls of soup). After using my beloved pot to stock my freezer with glorious batches of chicken broth, it’s just so easy to whip up meaty soups and blended soups and all manner of comfort soups.
Until recently, though, tomato soup would never be included in that list. Which is sad, because tomato soup was always one of my childhood favorites. Creamy tomato soup + cheesy, buttery bread instantly transports me back to my grandmother’s kitchen. (Ahhh, thanks for all the good times Campbells).
But I had to stay away from tomato soup (so I thought) because my husband isn’t a fan.
NO LONGER! I have been reawakened to my love for tomato soup, and thanks to this incredibly easy recipe, I have been making it frequently when he’s not home or there are other options for him in the fridge.
Now, this is very much a pantry-friendly soup. I wanted to have a version that I could whip up when the craving hit without having to worry about whether or not we had the right kind of tomatoes on hand. The short ingredient list is made up of items I always keep stocked.
I’m going to let you in on one of my favorite simplified grocery shopping tips. Organic canned diced tomatoes. I don’t buy canned sauce, canned whole tomatoes, canned crushed tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes, etc.
To keep things simple, I ONLY buy boxes of organic diced tomatoes at Costco and use them for everything. They go in chili and soup and other dishes. They get added to fresh tomatoes to make party-ready batches of salsa. I use them for big pots of marinara and small batches of pizza sauce.
And now I use them for creamy tomato soup.
Friends, I don’t know about you, but my mom brain THRIVES on simple.
See the picture above? One-hour French bread toasted with butter and cheddar pairs wonderfully with this soup. (All soup, if I’m being honest). Do like my friend Ingrid and make them into “dippers” for your kids to eat with their soup.
Want more soup ideas? Here are a few more family-favorites to keep your Instant Pot busy:
- (Extra-green) broccoli cheese soup
- Honey-roasted carrot soup
- Chicken salsa soup
- Butternut squash & apple soup
- Sausage and kale soup
A creamy tomato soup made with pantry staples in your Instant Pot!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 14.5oz cans organic diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 C heavy cream
1. Heat the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add the butter and melt. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are softened and beginning to brown.
2. Pour in the tomatoes, sugar, chicken broth, and basil over the onions. Stir to combine. Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
3. Quick release or naturally release the pressure. (I’ve done both, depending on how much of a hurry I was in. It won’t affect the end result). Carefully transfer the hot mixture to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the Instant Pot.
4. Stir in the heavy cream. Serve immediately with grated Parmesan, croutons, or bread (optional).
*The serving size noted is 1 1/2 cups of soup, however, we often eat less per meal.
Do you break the rules and eat soup in the summer? What is one of your family’s favorite soups?