These lentil sloppy joes are effortlessly easy, perfectly frugal, and healthy too. They’re made with green lentils instead of ground beef, making them a delicious meatless meal option for lunch or dinner. AND (this is one of my favorite parts) you can use the delay start feature on your Instant Pot so you’re sloppy joes will be ready whenever you are!
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
I have the perfect summer recipe for you today! It’s easy and healthy, and maybe best of all, it can be made ahead of time so you can come home to a hot meal after an evening at the pool or an afternoon at the park.
Lentil sloppy joes were on my meal plan this week, along with my easy coleslaw hack. We had them the day we went to the park and the children’s museum.
The sandwiches were the perfect meal to have as a late lunch that would satisfy us after our outings and keep us full until we had a late dinner after church.
I prepped all the ingredients, put them in the Instant Pot, set the delayed start, and came home to everything ready to eat.
Lentil Sloppy Joes in the Instant Pot
The ingredients are simple– and inexpensive. Lentils are not difficult to find, and the rest of the ingredients are basic pantry staples.
I just made sure to add lentils to my Whole Foods order (I’ve been using their delivery option for Prime members, and LOVING it!).
This recipe makes a lot, so you can make a batch at the beginning of the week and eat the leftovers all week. Or if you only want enough for a meal, simply cut the recipe in half.
More easy meal ideas ::
- Easy Dinner Ideas Mega List
- How to cook ground beef from frozen in the Instant Pot
- 20 Essential Summer Recipes You Can Make In 10 Minutes or Less
These sloppy joes are effortlessly easy, perfectly frugal, and healthy too. They’re made with green lentils instead of ground beef, making them a delicious meatless meal option for lunch or dinner. AND (this is one of my favorite parts) you can use the delay start feature on your Instant Pot so you’re sloppy joes will be ready whenever you are!
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 C green lentils, rinsed
- 1 C water
- 4 C (2 14.5oz cans) of pureed tomatoes (I blended 2 cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 C maple syrup
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp each kosher salt, cumin, dry mustard, and garlic powder
- 1 tsp each chili powder and paprika
1. Combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Stir to incorporate. Cover and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
2. Serve with homemade rolls, Hawaiian rolls, or over rice or potatoes, etc.
You can use the delay start on your Instant Pot with this recipe. Simply combine all the ingredients and set the cook time as usual, then select delay start (set the delay for up to four hours).
Sharing is caring! Don’t forget to pin and share. Thank you!