These sloppy joes are effortlessly easy, perfectly frugal, and healthy too. They’re made with green lentils instead of ground beef, making them a delicious meatless meal option for lunch or dinner. AND (this is one of my favorite parts) you can use the delay start feature on your Instant Pot so you’re sloppy joes will be ready whenever you are!
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 C green lentils, rinsed
- 1 C water
- 4 C (2 14.5oz cans) of pureed tomatoes (I blended 2 cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 C maple syrup
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp each kosher salt, cumin, dry mustard, and garlic powder
- 1 tsp each chili powder and paprika
1. Combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Stir to incorporate. Cover and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
2. Serve with homemade rolls, Hawaiian rolls, or over rice or potatoes, etc.
You can use the delay start on your Instant Pot with this recipe. Simply combine all the ingredients and set the cook time as usual, then select delay start (set the delay for up to four hours).