This is my favorite pie dough recipe. It is simple, reliable and delicious.Print
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 C coconut oil
- 1/2 C cold water
- In a food processor, combine 1 1/2 C flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse twice to mix.
- Cut butter into 12 slices. Cut coconut oil into about 4-6 pieces. Distribute the pieces evenly in food processor. Mix for about 10-15 seconds until the butter and oil are incorporated and the dough starts to come together.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 C flour on top of dough in food processor. Pulse a few times to incorporate the flour into the dough.
- Dump contents of food processor into a medium size bowl. Pour in the cold water. Using a spatula, mix the liquids into the dough, press with the spatula to make a soft dough. Add additional water if needed for the dough to stick together. You can use your hands to press the dough together as well, but you don’t want to handle the dough very much so that the butter pieces do not melt (this is what will make the pie dough flaky).
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and press down into a flat disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Roll out on a floured surface.