This is my favorite pie dough recipe. It is simple, reliable and delicious.
I use it for all my tartlets, pot pies, hand pies, empanadas and so on. Did I mention it is my favorite?Print
All-Purpose Pie Dough Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 portions, enough for a covered pie 1x
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 C coconut oil
- 1/2 C cold water
- In a food processor, combine 1 1/2 C flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse twice to mix.
- Cut butter into 12 slices. Cut coconut oil into about 4-6 pieces. Distribute the pieces evenly in food processor. Mix for about 10-15 seconds until the butter and oil are incorporated and the dough starts to come together.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 C flour on top of dough in food processor. Pulse a few times to incorporate the flour into the dough.
- Dump contents of food processor into a medium size bowl. Pour in the cold water. Using a spatula, mix the liquids into the dough, press with the spatula to make a soft dough. Add additional water if needed for the dough to stick together. You can use your hands to press the dough together as well, but you don’t want to handle the dough very much so that the butter pieces do not melt (this is what will make the pie dough flaky).
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and press down into a flat disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Roll out on a floured surface.
This is the best pie crust ever! My husband always leaves the crust when he eats pies. But he loved this crust and ate it all. So flaky and delicious!
Carol Johnson says
I love this simple pie dough recipe, so simple and so flakey. I made fresh black raspberry hand pies today with half the dough. Delicious!
I recently made this pie crust for our Christmas apple pie. It was so easy and delicious! I will never pie pre-made pie crust again. Thanks for another awesome recipe!
Do you know how long this dough would last in the refrigerator?? Thanks!!
I used the pie dough recipe today to make chicken pot pie. It was amazing! It’s the first time I’ve ever made a good pie crust from scratch!! Thank you, Lisa. The video was a huge help.
It says add vodka and water…I don’t see vodka in the recipe??
Am I missing something? ?
No, I updated the recipe and must have missed that. Thank you!
Do you think this recipe will workout if I omit the sugar? We avoid any sugar or sweetener. Looking to use it with your chicken pot pie recipe. Thank you.
It definitely will, Chrissy. I leave it out or reduce it occasionally.
Would I be able to use Crisco instead of coconut oil? And would it be the same amount?
Yes, that’d work.