- 3 medium russet baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 C diced onion
- 1 C chopped carrots, about 3 carrots,
- 1 C chopped mushrooms
- 1 C frozen peas
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 C beef broth
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 C cheddar cheese
1. Combine potatoes and 1 cup water in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add 1 egg, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons butter to the potatoes. Mash the potato mixture with a masher, or whip with a hand mixer. Add extra salt to taste.
2. In the now-empty Instant Pot, sauté the ground beef for 5 minutes until it begins to brown. Drain the grease. Add the worcestershire sauce, carrots, onions, peas, mushrooms, and 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Mix together beef broth and flour in a small measuring cup, then pour the broth mixture into the Instant Pot and stir to combine again. Sauté the mixture for three minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Transfer to a cooking dish that will fit inside your Instant Pot. (My cooking dish is 24-ounces).
3. Top the beef mixture with the mashed potatoes and smooth the top of the potatoes with a spatula. Cover the dish with a piece of foil. Rinse out the IP pot, then pour in 1 1/2 C water. Place in the trivet and then set the dish with the shepherd’s pie on the trivet. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
4. Quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the dish from the Instant Pot, discard the foil, and top with shredded cheese. Let the shepherd’s pie rest for 10 minutes before serving.
I use a 1.5 quart corningware dish to make this Shepherd’s Pie.