Rich and filling Instant Pot shepherd’s pie! No heating up your kitchen or cleaning up multiple pots and pans!
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
This post is a long time coming, but I’m so happy to be republishing this recipe. Too many people were struggling with the former recipe, and so it needed a little revamping. This shepherd’s pie is now a POT-IN-POT recipe!
I am SO glad to be sharing a fool-proof recipe with you now, especially since even though it is pot-in-pot, the number of serving are not reduced at all! Same DELICIOUS shepherd’s pie, all cooked in the Instant Pot, in just about thirty minutes of cook time.
The shepherd’s pie is cooked in stages. First, the potatoes are cooked so you can use them to make the mashed potato topping. The time is takes the potatoes to cook is the perfect amount for prepping the rest of your ingredients.
After the potatoes cook, you will use the sauté function on the Instant Pot to brown the beef, and then finish the shepherd’s pie filling. This step just takes about 10 minutes.
The final step is to transfer the filling into a dish in which to cook the shepherd’s pie. Smooth the mashed potatoes across the filling and cook on high pressure with the dish set on the trivet.
I use a 1.5 quart CorningWare dish for this shepherd’s pie. This dish is big enough to fit shepherd’s pie for 6, but not too big to fit in the pot. It’s really a great option for pot-in-pot Instant Pot cooking. Buy two and you can double this recipe and freeze one for later!
Want more great Instant Pot meals? Check out my cookbook, Family Meals from Scratch in Your Instant Pot!
If you are not already following This Pilgrim Life on Facebook, take a moment and click to follow now so you do not miss any Instant Pot cooking videos!
And if you haven’t already downloaded a free printable of the ten must-have recipes for your Instant Pot, you can get that here.Print
- 3 medium russet baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 C diced onion
- 1 C chopped carrots, about 3 carrots,
- 1 C chopped mushrooms
- 1 C frozen peas
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 C beef broth
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 C cheddar cheese
1. Combine potatoes and 1 cup water in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add 1 egg, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons butter to the potatoes. Mash the potato mixture with a masher, or whip with a hand mixer. Add extra salt to taste.
2. In the now-empty Instant Pot, sauté the ground beef for 5 minutes until it begins to brown. Drain the grease. Add the worcestershire sauce, carrots, onions, peas, mushrooms, and 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Mix together beef broth and flour in a small measuring cup, then pour the broth mixture into the Instant Pot and stir to combine again. Sauté the mixture for three minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Transfer to a cooking dish that will fit inside your Instant Pot. (My cooking dish is 24-ounces).
3. Top the beef mixture with the mashed potatoes and smooth the top of the potatoes with a spatula. Cover the dish with a piece of foil. Rinse out the IP pot, then pour in 1 1/2 C water. Place in the trivet and then set the dish with the shepherd’s pie on the trivet. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
4. Quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the dish from the Instant Pot, discard the foil, and top with shredded cheese. Let the shepherd’s pie rest for 10 minutes before serving.
I use a 1.5 quart corningware dish to make this Shepherd’s Pie.
Sharing is caring! Don’t forget to pin and share. Thank you!
Want more Instant Pot recipes and tips???
Click here for more Instant Pot recipes.
Find the Video Recipe Index here.
Sign up for the weekly newsletter to get new recipes, DIY projects, and encouragement right in your inbox!
Follow This Pilgrim Life on Facebook to catch all the live Instant Pot cooking videos!