This Instant Pot gnocchi soup is creamy, sweet perfection. It’s potato soup taken up a notch, with pillowy potatoes and vegetables, but still with the comfort of a bowl of potato soup topped with cheese and bacon.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 17oz gnocchi
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup crumbled bacon
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Sauté. When the screen reads HOT, add the butter, onions, garlic, and salt. Sauté the onions and garlic in the butter for about 5 minutes until the onions are softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the gnocchi, chicken stock, and carrots to the Instant Pot. Stir once to incorporate, then place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the cook time for 1 minute on high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, quick release the pressure. Whisk together the cream and flour, then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn the Instant Pot back on to Sauté and stir. Bring the soup to a simmer for 3-5 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- Add the spinach to the soup, and stir until it begins to wilt.
- Serve with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese (optional).
Sautéing the onions first adds a sweetness and richness to the soup. However, you can skip this step if you are really pressed for time.