This Instant Pot barbecue chicken is SO EASY and SO TASTY! It’s finished in 30 minutes and made with all whole ingredients.
I have a new love in my life and it goes by the name of quick and easy Instant Pot barbecue chicken.
Previously, all our homemade barbecue consumption was in the form of barbecue shredded pork– a freezer meal that requires more than double the time this chicken needs. Don’t get me wrong, there’s still a place in my life for barbecue pork (it’s especially great when feeding a crowd).
BUT, this barbecue chicken is both sooooooo tasty AND ridiculously easy to make. I’m talking, lunch time easy.
Instant Pot 30 Minute Barbecue Chicken
Using boneless, skinless chicken breasts really aids in the easy factor for this barbecue chicken. I get individually packaged, frozen chicken breasts from Costco. They are a good price, quick to thaw, and just generally über convenient.
Everything else about this barbecue chicken is “from scratch” too, but don’t let that deter you if you’re used to using premade ingredients. The chicken gets a spice rub (except I skip the rub part and just sprinkle the spice mixture on to make it even easier), and then the homemade barbecue sauce is poured on top before cooking.
You get a really delicious meal without a lot of effort using simple common ingredients.
Whether you go with or without the bun is up to you. I like my barbecue both ways. Sometimes I will make homemade rolls, occasionally we will pick buns up from the store, and other times we will just have it on its own. (Don’t you love versatile foods?!)
P.S….leftover barbecue combined with caramelized onion makes an incredible pizza.
P.P.S. This coleslaw is GREAT with barbecue!Print
This barbecue chicken is SO EASY and SO TASTY!
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp ea: chili powder, garlic powder, & kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ea: ground pepper, dry mustard, & turmeric
- 1/2 C ketchup
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 C minced onion
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Turn on the Instant Pot to Saute and heat until the screen reads “HOT”.
- Mix together the spice rub ingredients. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and sprinkle half of the spice mixture on one side of the chicken. Once the Instant Pot is hot, add a tablespoon of ghee or oil, and place the chicken in the hot pot with the spiced side down. Sprinkle the rest of the spice mixture on the un-spiced side of the chicken.
- Brown the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. While the chicken is browning, mix together the sauce ingredients. Once the chicken has browned on both sides, pour in 1/4 C of water and scrape any stuck pieces from the bottom of the pot. Immediately pour the sauce on top of the chicken. DON’T STIR!
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook for 8 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release the pressure and shred the chicken in the pot with two forks.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sharing is caring! Don’t forget to pin and share. Thank you!
Want more Instant Pot recipes and tips???
Click here for more Instant Pot recipes.
Find the Video Recipe Index here.
Sign up for the weekly newsletter to get new recipes, DIY projects, and encouragement right in your inbox!
Follow This Pilgrim Life on Facebook to catch all the live Instant Pot cooking videos!