Make delicious, flaky from scratch biscuits easily in your kitchen. Enjoy them with jam, honey, or with eggs and bacon for perfect breakfast sandwiches!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, chilled
- 1 1/4 cup milk or whey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In the bowl of a food processor*, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Pulse once or twice to incorporate the dry ingredients.
- Cut the butter into 1/2″ squares. Drop the butter and the coconut oil into the flour mixture. Pulse the food processor just until the butter is broken up into pea-sized pieces. (Don’t over-mix! The pieces of butter will contribute to the flakiness of the biscuits).
- Transfer the flour mixture to a mixing bowl. Pour in a cup of milk and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough begins to come together. Add additional milk a tablespoon at a time as needed. Again, don’t over-mix. Dump the dough onto a lightly floured countertop. Press the dough together, then roll out into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter, then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press together the scraps and continue rolling and cutting biscuits until the dough is gone. (Yields 10-12 biscuits).
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Rotate baking sheet. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes.
If you do not have a food processor, you can mix together the biscuits in a bowl. Use your fingers or a fork to break the cubes of butter up into pea sized pieces before pouring in the milk.