Silky noodles, salty bacon, tender chicken, and crispy asparagus complement each other perfectly in this easy skillet chicken carbonara! You won’t believe how simple the recipe is and how quickly it comes together!
- FRESH* : 4 eggs & 3 cups flour
- BOXED : 1lb angel hair pasta
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pasta cooking liquid
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tbsps)
- 3 chicken breasts
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 lb asparagus, cut into 2–3” pieces
- (optional) additional grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the bacon. Heat a 12″ cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Drain the grease from the skillet, reserving it in a small dish. Don’t clean the skillet.
- Cook the chicken & asparagus. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to now-empty skillet. Add the minced garlic, stir to coat with olive oil, then immediately add the asparagus to half the pan. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then add them to the other half of the skillet. Cook the chicken and asparagus until cooked through, flipping and stirring a couple of times during the cooking process (about 10-15 minutes).
- Cook the pasta. While the chicken and asparagus cook, cook the pasta according to package directions in 2 quarts of water with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water.
- Make the sauce: Whisk together the parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of bacon grease, and eggs together in a large glass measuring cup. After the pasta cooks, add 1 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water to the glass measuring cup, whisk and then add the kosher salt and ground pepper.
- Finish the pasta dish. Slice the chicken and return it to the skillet. Stir together the asparagus and chicken, then add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Pour in the sauce. Toss the pasta, chicken, and asparagus together, until all the ingredients are thoroughly coated with the sauce. Add the remaining reserved half cup pasta cooking water as needed. Crumble the bacon and toss to combine. (Optional) top with additional grated parmesan cheese.
- Let the dish stand 5 minutes before serving.