There’s not much more comforting than a bowl of savory beef stew! This Instant Pot beef stew is so satisfying and delicious, you’ll be surprised at how quick and easy it is to make!
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2–3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2” chunks
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp whole dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Sauté. Sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over the stew meat. When the Instant Pot reads “HOT”, add 1 tablespoon ghee, then half the stew meat. Brown the first batch of stew meat for two minutes on both sides. Remove and set on a clean plate. Add the remaining tablespoon of ghee to the pot, then the second half of the stew meat. Brown for 2 minutes on both side. Add the second batch of browned meat to the first.
- Pour the wine into the Instant Pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any pieces that were stuck. Return the meat to the Instant Pot, then add all the vegetables, the broth, and the herbs. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the cook time to 35 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure. Discard the bay leaf. Stir together 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water, then pour the slurry in the pot. Return the Instant Pot to Saute, and let the stew simmer for 3-5 minutes until the broth thickens.
- Serve the stew with parsley, and add extra salt to taste.
We really enjoyed a little extra broth in our stew, but if you want less broth you can reduce it by a cup.