Easy, FLAVORFUL blackened chicken with a spicy, crisp exterior and a juicy interior. This blackened chicken is coated with a homemade spice rub, starts in a hot skillet, and finishes cooking in the oven.
- 2 tbsp high quality butter
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder*
- Mix together the spice rub in a small dish. Preheat a cast iron pan over medium high heat. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Rub 2 teaspoons of the melted butter on each side of the chicken breasts. Rub 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture on each side of the chicken breasts.
- Use tongs to place the chicken breasts in the hot preheated pan. (You should be able to feel the heat radiating off the pan before you add the chicken. Do not add extra oil). Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side.
- Place the chicken in the skillet into the preheated oven. Cook for 15 more minutes, until the chicken registers 160 when measured with a meat thermometer. (The temperature will continue to rise slightly after you take it out of the oven).
- Slice and serve**.
* this amount of cayenne gives the chicken great flavor with a small kick. If you want spicier blackened chicken, double the cayenne.
** This chicken is delicious served on its own, but it is also great in fettuccine and on salads!