This broccoli soup is more than a creamy soup with heaps of cheese and a dash of broccoli pieces. The broccoli is the star, and with the addition of an extra green ingredient, it is an excellent source of vitamin C this fall and winter.
When I was in college, my idea of a convenience meal was an individual tray of frozen macaroni and cheese heated in my dorm microwave and topped with crumbled crackers. Or just as often, a pack of Lance crackers and a can of coke.
I practically lived off of these meals during that season of my life. I loved them then. But I wouldn’t want to go back.
One-hour French bread is perfect with a bowl of hot soup!
These days, convenience meals look pretty different. Because even though convenience is important some days, so is the need to feed my family filling and (mostly) healthy foods.
When I am really in a rush or not wanting to cook, we pull out a bag of frozen potstickers and make a quick side of fried rice or simple roasted carrot fries.
More often, though, I rely on other forms of convenience– forms that still look like real food, and without all the unnecessary preservatives or artificial ingredients. Precut vegetables. Chicken broth and beans made in big batches and frozen until needed. Organic tortillas on hand for simple quesadillas or wraps. Quick and easy meals that come together quickly.
This broccoli cheese soup was already a pretty easy meal to make on the stovetop, but using my Instant Pot has made it into a 15 minute meal, with only about 5 minutes of hands-on work.
I like to buy bagged broccoli florets from Costco because of how easy it is to just grab and dump– onto a baking sheet for roasted broccoli, into a pot to steam, or in this case, straight into the Instant Pot for a simple soup.
This soup is my eldest son’s favorite, but really, everyone in the family loves it.
I appreciate that its not just a soup with a dash of broccoli to go along with the heaps of milk and cheese. The broccoli is the star, and the green is boosted by the addition of spinach. Use homemade broth to make this soup a powerhouse of nutrition and an excellent source of vitamin C.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can find the recipe for stovetop broccoli cheese soup in this cookbook (one of the most used in my kitchen). Or check out these seven soups that come together fast, and the soups listed here in the recipe index.
(Extra Green) Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
Cook Time: 5 minutes prep, 4 min high pressure
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 4 heaping C broccoli florets
- 4 C chicken broth
- 2 C spinach
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in the Instant Pot on Saute. Add the onion and spices and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, then the broccoli florets. Stir to combine ingredients.
2. Pour in the chicken broth. Cover the IP, close the valve, and set IP to 4 minutes on manual high pressure.
3. After 4 minutes on high pressure, quick release pressure. Return the IP to Saute, and add the spinach. Stir in the spinach until the leaves are wilted.
4. Blend the soup in a blender or food processor. Add the cheeses and blend again to incorporate.
5. Serve immediately with croutons and extra Parmesan cheese (optional).