The Instant Pot makes it easy to have perfectly tender and savory French dip sandwiches made with venison roasts!
- 3 lb venison roast
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- mozzarella or provolone cheese for topping
- sub rolls
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Saute. While the Instant Pot heats, pat the roast dry, then season it and all sides with the salt and pepper. When the display on the Instant Pot reads “HOT”, add the olive oil, then place in the seasoned venison roast. Brown for about 5 minutes, rotating it so that it browns on all sides.
- Remove the roast from the Instant Pot and set to the side on a plate. Add the butter, then the sliced onions. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes, stirring and deglazing the bottom of the pot twice during cooking.
- Return the venison roast to the Instant Pot, then pour in the broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, and garlic powder. No stirring is needed. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the cook time for 75 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, let the pressure naturally release. (If it hasn’t finished releasing after 15 minutes, you can manually release the remaining pressure).
- Shred the meat with two forks (you can do this right in the pot if you like). Open the sub rolls and lay them flat on a baking sheet. Top them with some of the shredded meat, then with cheese. Place under the boiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with the au jus (cooking liquid) for dipping.
You can use the time the venison roast is cooking to make homemade sub rolls! These rolls are easy and delicious, and can be done in just one hour!