Delicious strawberry muffins with a sweet cream cheese surprise!
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whey or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- turbinado sugar (optional)
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and honey. Whisk together until well blended. Transfer cream cheese mixture to a piece of parchment paper and press into a log, about 12 inches long. Wrap log in parchment paper and place in freezer to chill while you prepare the muffin batter.
- Preheat oven to 385°. Line a muffin pan with parchment liners or grease with butter/spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a medium mixing bowl. Stir to incorporate, then set to the side. Whisk together the egg, applesauce, honey, yogurt, milk/whey, and vanilla in a large liquid measuring cup. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and stir gently just until no streaks of flour remain. Gently fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Remove cream cheese log from freezer. Slice into 12 equal pieces.
- Fill each muffin liner about halfway with muffin batter. Place a portion of the cream cheese mixture in each muffin, pressing into the batter slightly. Cover each muffin with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with turbinado sugar (optional).
- Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes, until the muffins are cooked through and the tops spring back when gently pressed.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before eating. (If you used muffin liners, you can remove them from the pan immediately. If you did not use liners, let the muffins cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before lifting out).