Our family recipe for Russian tea cakes– tender, round cookies rolled in powdered sugar– makes an appearance every Christmas season. These cookies are easy to make and so tasty!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- Cream together the butter and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar until light and fluffy with a mixer using the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the salt and flour, gradually. When the flour is mostly incorporated, add the vanilla and nuts. Increase the speed to medium-low and continue to mix for another minute until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a small bowl and press together slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pinch off tablespoon-sized pieces of the dough and roll into a tight ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with a silicon mat or parchment paper. Bake for 10-11 minutes until the cookies are cooked through and beginning to get golden brown on the bottom.
- Carefully transfer the hot cookies to a cooling rack and let cool for about five minutes. (Not much longer, because you want to roll the cookies in the sugar when warm).
- Measure out a half cup of powdered sugar into a small bowl. Roll the warm cookies in the sugar until well coated, then transfer them a serving plate or container to finish cooling. (You can roll them a second time in the sugar once cooled for a thicker coating).