Skip the boxed pop-tarts, and make these delicious pumpkin pie pop-tarts at home! The difference is amazing!
- 2 disks of pie dough
- 2 C pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp warm water
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Mix together the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and spices and set aside.
- Roll out the pie dough on a generously floured countertop, sprinkling the top with flour as needed to prevent it from sticking to your rolling pin. Roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/4″ thick.
- Trim the edges of the dough to make four straight edges, and then cut 12 rectangles from the dough. Spoon about a heaping tablespoon of filling into six of the rectangles, gently smoothing it out, but leaving a half-inch border around the edges.
- Cover the filled rectangles with six of the unfilled rectangles and gently push down with your fingers to seal. Carefully move the pop-tarts to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Gather the dough scraps and roll them out to make one or two additional pop-tarts.
- Press around the edges of the pop-tarts with a fork to seal the two layers together. Poke several holes in the top of the pop-tarts with the fork. Beat an egg in a small dish, and then brush the tops of the pop-tarts with the egg.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before icing.
- To make icing: Combine the powdered sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl, and then whisk in a tablespoon and a half of warm water to make a thick glaze. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the cooled pop-tarts.