Savory soup with such a rich flavor thanks to the collards and three types of pork! It’s also full of nutrition thanks (again) to the collards and chicken stock. So perfect topped with tender cornbread!
- 1 tbsp bacon grease (or oil/ghee)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta (4oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 8 medium collard leaves, tobacco rolled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 pan of cornbread
- Turn Instant Pot on to Sauté. While the pot heats, chop the onions. Once the Instant Pot is preheated (the screen will say HOT), add the bacon grease and the onions. Sauté for 3 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Stir in the garlic and the pancetta and sauté for about 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant. Add the ground pork and sauté for about 5 minutes, while you prepare the carrots and the collards.
TO PREPARE THE COLLARDS: Rinse the leaves, cut out the hard stem, stack the leaves, then roll them up and slice them both ways.
- After the ground pork is mostly browned, add the carrots, chopped collards, stock, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the cook time to 10 minutes on high pressure.
- While the soup cooks, make your cornbread. (This recipe is delicious, gluten-free, and easy!)
- When the cook time is complete, quick release the pressure. (There’s no rush here, though. You could also let it naturally release or let it sit a bit until you’re ready). Measure out the arrowroot or cornstarch into a glass measuring cup, then ladle out about a cup of the hot broth from the soup and whisk it together with the arrowroot/cornstarch. When the mixture is smooth, return it to the pot and stir until completely incorporated. Turn the Instant Pot back on to Sauté and simmer until the broth is slightly thickened and silky.
- Portion the soup into bowls, and place a square of cornbread on top.