Crispy, juicy fried chicken is possible at home, with only a handful of ingredients, and in just thirty minutes! This pan fried chicken is so delicious and simpler (and healthier) than deep frying.
- 2/3 C flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 C cooking oil (I use non GMO canola oil)
(This amount is perfect for 8 strips. You will need to increase your seasoned flour and add an egg for any more chicken.)
1. Heat the cooking oil in a 12″ cast iron skillet over medium heat until it reaches 350° (test with a candy thermometer).
2. Combine the flour through paprika in a shallow dish and whisk together to blend. Crack the egg into a small bowl and mix with a fork. Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
3. Roll the chicken strips in the flour mixture until they are lightly coated with flour. Dip each breast in the beaten egg, and then return to the seasoned flour. Roll in the flour again until each strip is coated, and transfer to a plate or cutting board. Before I put the strips in the oil, I like to roll them one last time in the seasoned flour to give the strips a little more breading.
4. Gently place each strip in the hot oil and cook for 4 minutes. Use a pair of tongs or a fork to flip each strip over, and cook for 3-4 more minutes, or until the chicken measures 160° inside.
5. Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Transfer the chicken strips to the cooling rack to drain some of the residual oil. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven until you’re ready to eat.