Cook a side of creamy, cheesy grits along with chicken thighs stuffed with garlic and herbs for an amazingly simple, easy, and tasty dinner in your Instant Pot!
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ea: kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, dried thyme
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 C diced onion
- 1 C chicken broth
- 3/4 C yellow grits
- 2 1/2 C water
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 C pimento cheese (or shredded Parmesan)
- Mix together 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, the garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs in a small bowl. Use your fingers to loosen the skin on the chicken thighs from the meat, without removing the skin. Stuff 1/4 of the garlic herb mixture under the skin on each chicken thigh.
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute and heat until the screen says “HOT”. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the pot and place the chicken thighs skin side down in the pot. Brown the chicken thighs for 5 minutes, then remove them to a plate.
- Add the diced onion to the now empty pot and saute for 2 minutes, deglazing the pot as the onions cook. Pour in the chicken broth and then nestle the chicken thighs into the pot, skin side up.
- Place the trivet on top of the chicken thighs. Combine the grits, water, and salt in an oven-safe dish. Cover with foil. Set the grits on top of the chicken on the trivet.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to pressure cook for 10 minutes. After the food cooks for 10 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
- Remove the grits and trivet from the pot. Transfer the chicken thighs to a clean plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Whisk in 1 Tbsp flour to the pot, return to saute, and whisk until the cooking liquid thickens to a gravy (just a few minutes).
- Stir the grits and add 1/2 C of your cheese of choice.
- (Optional) Broil the chicken thighs skin side up until the skin crisps and darkens.
- Serve and enjoy.