French Onion soup is so satisfying with its savory broth, crusty bread, and gooey cheese. This Instant Pot French Onion soup takes the delicious soup we know and love and takes all the time and fuss out of it! It’s so quick and easy you’ll be making it any time a craving hits.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to “saute” and melt the butter in the bottom of the pot. When the butter is melted, add the onions and stir to coat with the butter. Let the onions cook for 6 minutes without stirring. After 6 minutes, stir the onions, then let them cook for another 6 minutes without stirring.
- Push the onions to the side and add the minced garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds. Add the salt, pepper, broths, and worcestershire sauce to the Instant Pot. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- While the soup is cooking, toast thick slices of French bread on both sides until crispy.
- Quick release the pressure from the Instant Pot. Portion out the soup into bowls and top with slices of toasted French bread. Sprinkle the bread with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese, and then place the soup bowls under the broil. Broil for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Serve immediately (but be careful because it is HOT!).
* You can substitute another cheese of your choice, or use a mix of two or three.
If you wish to double this soup, add another 6 minutes of cooking time to give the extra onions additional time to brown.