Homemade ricotta cheese is possible in just one hour and with only three ingredients! This recipe is so easy and the ricotta cheese so delicious that you’ll never need to buy it again!
- 8 C whole milk
- 1/2 C heavy cream (optional)
- 1/3 C lemon juice
- kosher salt to taste
- Place a large pot on the stovetop and attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pot. Melt an ice cube in the bottom of the pot, swirling it around to coat the entire base.
- Pour in the milk, cream, and lemon juice. Stir gently to mix, being careful not to touch the bottom of the pot.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium-low heat until it reaches a temperature of 175 degrees, about 35 minutes, gently stirring once or twice.
- When the milk mixture reaches 175 degrees, turn the heat up to medium-high and heat for about 5 more minutes until it reaches 205 degrees.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand 10 minutes.
- Scoop the cheese curds from the pot and into a strainer set over a bowl. Let the ricotta strain for 5 more minutes. Add salt to taste.