Make a delicious, hearty pot of chili in 45 minutes or less! This Instant Pot chili is perfect for chilly fall and winter days, and thanks to the Instant Pot, it’s easy enough for weeknights too. Just don’t forget the cornbread!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (about 2 cups)
- 1 can tomato sauce (about 2 cups) (I just blend up a second can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can pinto or kidney beans, drained & rinsed (about 2 cups)
- optional: shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- optional: plain yogurt or sour cream for topping
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Sauté. When the screen reads hot, saute the onion and bell peppers in a tablespoon of olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the minced garlic to the onions and peppers and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef to the vegetables. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until the meat is just browned. Add herbs and spices.
- Pour in 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of tomato sauce. Add the kidney beans. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the cook time for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Return the Instant Pot to Sauté and cook for 5 more minutes to thicken slightly. Top with cheddar cheese and sour cream/yogurt if desired.
This chili freezes really well too!
The servings depend on whether you are feeding all adults (about 4 servings) or feeding a family with small children (closer to 6 servings).