Fresh strawberry pie is one of the best ways to enjoy seasonal strawberries! This pie is naturally sweetened (not too sweet!), and uses unflavored gelatin to set up. It’s perfect with a generous dollop of whipped cream!
- 9oz vanilla wafers
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Chop the vanilla wafers in a food processor until they are fine, even crumbs. Add the coconut sugar and melted butter. Pulse again a few times until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Pour the crust mixture into a pie dish. Use your hands to press out the crumbs evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Use the heel of your hand to apply gentle pressure to the crust. Bake in preheated oven for about 13 minutes, then remove and let the crust cool completely before filling.
- Combine the gelatin, lemon juice, and water in a small dish. Let the mixture stand while continuing with the next step of the filling.
- Roughly chop 3 cups of the strawberries, then add them to a medium-sized saucepan. Heat the berries over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until they begin to break down and get soft. Use a spoon or masher to mash the strawberries until they resemble a chunky jam.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the jammy strawberries and stir until it is thoroughly incorporated. Simmer for 2 more minutes, then remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the honey. Let the filling cool for about 20 minutes until it is no longer hot to the touch.
- Slice the remaining 2 cups of strawberries in halves and quarters (a mix of both, or just pick one). Once the filling is cool, stir in the sliced strawberries, and pour the mixture into the pie pan. Smooth out the top, and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours. (Pie is best eaten before 24 hours).
- Slice and serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!