Make soft, delicious dinner rolls with the help of your Instant Pot! These rolls are so good with a homemade everything spice blend!
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- olive oil
- butter for topping
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Sauté and immediately add the milk. Heat to 110 degrees. Important: This will only take about 1 minute or less! Turn off the Instant Pot after 1 minute, and take the temperature with an instant read thermometer before adding the yeast. If the milk is too hot it can kill the yeast.
- Add the butter to the warm milk and stir until it is mostly melted. Pour in the honey, then the yeast water into the milk mixture and stir to combine. Add 1 egg yolk (reserve the egg white for brushing on the rolls before baking), and stir.
- Add the whole wheat flour, 2 cups of the bread flour, and the sea salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough begins to come together, about 3-5 minutes. Once the dough begin to form a ball, set the spoon aside and mix the dough with your hands, squeezing and folding it until it is smooth and cohesive, about five minutes. Add the remaining cup of bread flour a little at a time as you work the dough. Drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom of the pot, place the dough on the oil, then flip the dough so the top is now oiled.
- Cover the Instant Pot. Turn on the Yogurt setting for 1 hour (the normal setting– not high or low).
- After 1 hour, your dough should have doubled in size. Remove the dough from the Instant Pot and transfer to a cutting board. Divide the dough into 15 portions. Roll each piece into a ball (it does not have to be perfect) and set in a greased 11×9 baking dish.
- Cover the rolls and set in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes. (I like to let the rolls rise on my stove while my oven preheats). Turn your oven on to 425 degrees.
- Stir together the everything topping. Combine the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water. When the rolls have doubled in size (after 30 minutes), brush the rolls with the egg white mixture, then top with the everything blend.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the tops of the rolls with butter while they are still warm.