A simple recipe for easy Instant Pot fried rice! Perfect as a quick side dish or add protein for a quick meal!
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 heaping cup julienne/matchstick carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn or green peas (thawed)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2+ tbsp soy sauce*
- 2+ tbsp sesame oil
- Combine the rice and 2 1/4 cups of water in an oven safe dish or bowl that will fit in your Instant Pot. (I like to use glass pyrex storage bowls). Cover the dish with foil. Pour one cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot, place in the trivet, then set the dish of rice on top of the trivet.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to sealing. Set the cook time for 10 minutes on high pressure. When the cook time is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
- Prepare your vegetables while the rice cooks. Lift the cooked rice from the Instant Pot on the trivet, and set to the side to cool. Discard the foil. Pour out the cooking liquid from the Instant Pot.
- Turn the now-empty Instant Pot on to Sauté. When the screen reads HOT, add a tablespoon of sesame oil the Instant Pot, then add the onions and carrots. Season the vegetables with the garlic and ginger. Stir to coat, and then let the vegetables cook for about 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, pour in a tablespoon of soy sauce over the carrots and onions. Stir again, then let the vegetables cook again until they reach your desired softness (about 2-3 more minutes). When the carrots and onions are done, stir in the corn or peas. Cook until the corn/peas are hot, then push the vegetables to the sides of the pot, making an opening in the middle of the pot. .
- Add a tablespoon of oil or butter to the Instant Pot, then pour in the egg. Loosely place the lid on the Instant Pot and let the egg cook for 1 minute. Uncover the Instant Pot, stir the egg, breaking it up and mixing it into the vegetables. Transfer the egg and vegetable mixture to a bowl and set to the side while you fry the rice.
- In the empty Instant Pot, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil then swirl the oil so it covers the bottom of the pot. Dump in your rice, then press it down in the pot into a flat layer. Let the rice fry for 3 minutes without stirring. After about 3 minutes, add a tablespoon of sauce sauce to the rice and stir to incorporate the soy sauce.
- Return the egg/vegetable mixture to the Instant Pot. Mix well, then serve hot!
If you wanted to add chicken to this dish, you could season a couple chicken breasts, then place them under the rice/trivet to cook while the rice cooks. (A taller trivet would be necessary). Simply shred the chicken after the cook time is complete and add it to fried rice in step 7.
*Sub coconut aminos for soy sauce if you prefer.