Homemade (from scratch) dark chocolate brownies with a sweet peppermint icing. Making brownies from scratch is so easy, you’ll never need to go back to the boxed mixes!
- 1 C coconut sugar
- 1 C almond flour
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 C dark chocolate morsels
- 1/4 C black brewed coffee
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 drops Peppermint Oil (DoTERRA) or 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Combine the coconut sugar, almond flour, and cocoa powder in a medium mixing bowl. Stir to incorporate. Add the eggs, melted butter, coffee, and salt. Stir well until the eggs are blended and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the chocolate morsels.
- Pour the brownie batter into a rectangular baking dish lined with parchment paper. Use your spoon or spatula to smooth the batter down into a flat layer. Cook the brownies in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Carefully lift the brownies from the pan and let them cool completely.
- Mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a stand mixer until whipped and smooth. Add the peppermint oil (see notes) or extract, and the food coloring, and mix again for another 30 seconds.
- Spread the peppermint icing on the cooled brownies.
If you use essential oil to flavor the icing, add it one drop at a time and taste. Use 1-3 drops according to preference. Be sure to use an EO that is safe for internal use. (I use DoTERRA).