Crispy potato cakes are our favorite way to use leftover mashed potatoes! I regularly make extra mashed potatoes just so we can have potato cakes with our eggs for breakfast!
- 2–3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Mix together the leftover mashed potatoes and egg well. Add the garlic and salt, stir again. Form the potatoes into patties.
- Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot. Add a little butter (enough to generously coat the bottom) and move it around on the hot skillet until melted. Immediately place the potato cakes in the melted butter.
- Cook the potato cakes for about 5 minutes until the bottom of the cakes form a brown and crispy crust. (DON’T try to flip them before a good crust forms, or they will fall apart). Slide a spatula under the potato cakes, add more butter to the pan, and flip to cook the cakes on the other side.
- Serve hot!