This loaded cauliflower soup is a healthy twist on loaded potato soup that is still comforting and feels indulgent!
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 3 slices of uncooked bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, about 1/2 a tablespoon
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 5–6 cups chopped cauliflower
- 6 cups* chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- kosher salt to taste
- additional bacon and cheese for topping (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Saute.
- While the Instant Pot preheats, chop the onion and bacon. When the Instant Pot reads “HOT”, add the ghee, then the onion and bacon. Sauté until the onion is soft and the bacon is mostly cooked. Stir in the minced garlic.
- Pour in the chicken stock and deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot as needed until there is nothing stuck to the pot. Add the carrots and the cauliflower. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the cook time for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cook time is complete, quick release the pressure. Stir together the cream and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the soup, turn the Instant Pot back to Saute, and bring the soup to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes until the soup is slightly thickened. Stir in the shredded cheese until it is thoroughly melted into the soup. Season with salt to taste.
- Portion the soup into bowls and top with additional shredded cheese and crumbled bacon (optional). Serve, but be careful because the soup is hot!
*I use a lot of stock to make more soup (and because my youngest kids love the broth best), but if you want a thicker soup, reduce the stock to 4 cups.