These maple Brussel sprouts and bacon are such a simple but delicious side dish! The Brussels get tender and caramelized in the pan, and the addition of the bacon balances out the slightly sweet maple syrup with the perfect level of saltiness.
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 minced shallot (about 3 tbsp)
- 1 1lb brussel sprouts, quartered
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt to taste
- Cook the bacon in a 10″ cast iron skillet until crisp. Transfer to plate lined with a paper towel, and drain the grease, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the minced shallot and sauté in the hot bacon grease for one minute, then add the Brussel sprouts and maple syrup. Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat until the Brussel sprouts are fork tender (about 10 minutes), stirring only once or twice.
- Chop the bacon and add to the Brussel sprout mixture in the pan. Toss, add salt to taste, and serve.