This cake is perfectly moist and so flavorful! The batter is studded with blueberries and boosted with flavor from orange essential oil. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and naturally sweetened!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries (thawed if frozen)
- 2 drops Wild Orange DoTERRA essential oil (or 1 tbsp orange zest)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons water
- 1 toothpick Wild Orange DoTERRA essential oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Separate the eggs and set the yolks to the side. Whip the egg white in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed until soft peaks form. Gently transfer the egg whites to a bowl and set aside. Add the egg yolks to the now empty bowl. Pour in the honey, applesauce, and vanilla. Use the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth.
3. Turn the mixer on low and gradually add the oat flour, then the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the almond flour and mix just until no streaks of flour remain. Stir in the blueberries, then gently fold in the egg whites. Drop two drops of orange essential oil into a measuring spoon*, then stir it into the batter.
4. Grease an 8″ glass pyrex dish. Pour in the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. To make the glaze: Stir together the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Add additional water a teaspoon at a time until the glaze is the consistency of honey. Stick a toothpick in the essential oil and then swirl it into the glaze.
6. Cool the cake completely. Optional, flip the cake over onto a serving plate. Drizzle the cake with the glaze.
* You can easily make oat flour in your blender. Blend rolled oats on high until light and smooth.