The best old-fashioned pound cake with a perfect, crumbly topping and sweet, tender crumb!
- 1 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 C sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 C cake flour, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy with the mixer on medium speed. (No higher than medium).
3. Add each egg, one at a time, blending after each addition. Add both extracts.
4. Turn the mixer down to low and add the salt and the flour a little at a time until it is all added. Mix for another minute on low until the flour is completely incorporated.
5. Grease and flour a tube pan. Pour the cake batter into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle a couple teaspoons of sugar evenly across the top of the batter.
6. Bake for 90 minutes in preheated oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (If the cake is not finished at 90 minutes, let it cook for another ten minutes, checking again afterwards).
7. Remove the cake from the oven and set it on the counter and let it rest for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, run a butter knife around the outer edges of the tube pan. Lift the cake out from the pan’s outer piece by pulling up on the center tube (while using a pot holder). Set the cake back down on the counter and cover it with a cake cover and let it ‘sweat’ for ten more minutes.
8. Run the butter knife around the bottom of the cake, separating the bottom of the cake from the pan. Carefully and quickly turn the cake over onto your flat hand or plate, remove the pan’s tube piece, and then flip the cake back right side up on a serving plate.
9. Serve with coffee, hot tea, whipped cream, fresh fruit, or other scrumptious things.