Enjoy a loaf of homemade banana bread for breakfast, lunch, or an afternoon snack! It’s easy to make, full of delicious banana flavor, and rich in vitamins and minerals!
Homemade banana bread is a staple at our house, not only because we love it, but also because we buy at least three bunches of bananas a week and regularly end up with ripe bananas begging to be mashed and turned into bread.
Actually, I intentionally overbuy bananas just so we will have extras for bread, smoothies, and muffins.
I made a loaf of banana bread last week to take along on an impromptu picnic at the park. Paired with some carrots and ranch, apple slices, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, it was the perfect filling and delicious picnic lunch.
This banana bread is really easy to make and is healthy too. With more bananas than other recipes, coconut oil, and no refined sugars, it is low in sugar and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
I personally love how many different vitamins and minerals are in this bread. Our general philosophy when it comes to healthy eating is simple– stick to real foods, limit refined sugars, and focus on nutrient dense foods. This banana bread fits the bill, especially when I make it with freshly ground flour.
Homemade Banana Bread
The recipe makes one loaf of banana bread. You will need four ripe bananas for the bread itself, and then if you have an extra banana on hand, you can use it for a pretty and tasty topping for the loaf.
If you are feeling especially devil-may-care, you can sprinkle a tablespoon of demerara or raw sugar on top before baking. It adds just an extra hint of sweetness and a little crunch too.
Whether or not you add nuts is up to personal preference. I like it with and without, but when I left them out last time, my husband voiced his strong opinion about the necessity of banana bread to be studded with walnuts. So, in our house, we make banana nut bread.
Buy an extra bunch of bananas the next time you’re at the store or put the ripe bananas at your house to good use and make a loaf of homemade banana bread soon!
This banana bread is easy to make, full of delicious banana flavor, and rich in vitamins and minerals.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/3 C coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 C unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 C flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 ripe banana cut into thin slices
- 1 Tbsp demerara sugar or raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mash the bananas in a medium size mixing bowl with a wooden spoon. Pour in the oil, butter, syrup, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Add the egg and stir again until the liquid ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the flour and the baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the remaining flour, then the chopped walnuts if you are using them, and stir just until no streaks of flour remain.
- Grease a loaf pan and pour in the banana bread mixture. Optional topping: Place thin slices of banana in three rows down the top of the dough. Sprinkle the top with demerara or raw sugar for a little extra sweetness and crunch.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Sharing is caring! Don’t forget to pin and share. Thank you!